Wednesday, August 17, 2011

BANG vs CENSORSHIP

CENSORSHIP: Is the suppression of speech or other public communication which may be considered objectionable, harmful, sensitive, or inconvenient to the general body of people as determined by a government, media outlet, or other controlling body.


You might be asking yourself why I am writing about censorship...well it isn't a lashing out against censorship, because that would be a silly thing to do. I actually have a reason why I want to talk about it and that is because...The House of Balestrom (admit it you knew that was coming). Have you ever heard of the MPAA? Sure you have. They control the ratings on movies, but a long time ago they controlled what was talked about in the movies...such as homosexuality, drugs, rape, sex, language, and the list goes on. 
What does this have to do with The House of Balestrom? Well I wanted to write a Gothic Suspense novel on the lines of Author Daphne Du Maurier and well I did. But What caught my attention most of all was the fact that during the time of when one of her famous novels came out a lot was going on with the MPAA. They wouldn't nothing pass by them..script rewrites done by them. Tennessee Williams felt the blunt force of this with all his plays as they were converted into movies. The studios had to find creative ways to say something without saying it. And well if they didn't find a creative way to say it they just had to change it or the MPAA wouldn't let it be released to the general public. Such was born film classics.
I write Noir Fiction. Its dark and gritty and intense. Its mostly about crime, with adulterous affairs, backstabbing, backbiting, and murder. I'm talking intense graphic sex and crimes. But hell that's what Hard-boiled crime fiction is.  

But I wanted to take you on a new road. I don't want you to think I am all graphic gritty sex and violence. No I am more than that. I wanted to take The House of Balestrom into a new direction. I wanted to have crime, mystery, drama, suspense, affairs and the sort but present it in a different censored way (and believe me it was not easy to do). 
I've taken all the sex out. No cussing, and a mellow description of the violence in the story. Does this make The House of Balestrom less intense and entertaining than BANG? Actually no it doesn't. I've read my own books and love them equally. If anything It changed how readers a little bit to capture people who want to read those things that I write but without them being mentioned. Does this mean that I will stop writing graphic novels? Hell no! In fact I have a lot of them I plan on writing and I also have a lot of the censored novels I plan to write as well. So in saying that my Bangers (my nickname for you)...there is enough of me for everyone. XOXO





No comments:

Post a Comment